Connect with us

Top Story

Justice delayed for Onnoghen

Hearing unable to proceed into the main charges of non-assets declaration against Nigeria’s Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen

Kathleen Ndongmo

Published

on

The ongoing trial of Nigeria’s Chief Justice, Walter Onnoghen, on Tuesday suffered a set back after hearing could not proceed into the main charges of non-assets declaration filed against him by the President Muhammadu Buhari government.

Defence Counsel, Wole Olanipekun, had in Abuja informed the CCT, a special court that receives petitions against public officials on assets declaration in Nigeria, that about four other courts had given separate interim judgments seeking the discontinuation of the matter for lack of jurisdiction and abuse of processes.

Onnoghen had been scheduled to appear before the CCT and for the second time, he failed to show up. 

With his absence, prosecution lawyer Aliyu Umar said he had the powers to file an application before the tribunal seeking the arrest of Chief Justice Onnoghen but he would defer the use of such powers at the moment. 

“Due to the absence of the accused, we have the powers to ask that an arrest warrant be served on him (Justice Onnoghen) as the prosecution but we won’t do that as he is the Chief Justice of Nigeria”, prosecutor Umar said. 

Instead, he sought the leave of the CCT to file a motion seeking the stepping aside of Onnoghen as Chief Justice of Nigeria and recusing of himself as Chairman of the country’s powerful National Judicial Council, NJC, which is charged with the discipline of judges, pending the outcome of the court case.

The defence kicked and later urged that the case be adjourned until further notice pending when other court cases instituted on the powers of the CCT to hear the case are determined by other courts.

“May we urge the honourable tribunal to adjourn this matter sine dine”, the  defence lawyer said on behalf of Chief Justice Onnoghen.

But ruling on the prayers of Onnoghen’s lawyers, the CCT insisted that the case should go on, asking his lawyers to go ahead with their challenge against the special court’s powers to hear corruption charges against their principal. Other two members of the tribunal opined that the court should however obey all court orders against its rulings despite having coordinate jurisdiction.

The case was later adjourned to Monday as agreed by all parties.

The Buhari government has been accused by opposition politicians of hunting down Onnoghen as part of its alleged plans to rig the February 16 presidential election, so as to install a puppet judge as Chief Justice, in a situation the post-election matter gets to the Supreme Court, which is the country’s constitutional court.

But senior lawyers while not against the charges filed against Chief Justice Onnoghen said the Nigerian government was going about the case wrongly without following due process as the case should have first been referred to the NJC before the tribunal. They said Onnoghen would have simply recused himself from the NJC. 

The case was filed against Onnoghen on January 14, amidst protests by governors of the oil-rich states of the Niger Delta who advised the embattled Chief Justice to shun the CCT proceedings.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Sports News

Herve Renard resigns from Morocco coaching job after AFCON flop

The Frenchman had been in charge of Morocco since February 2016 and led the nation to the 2018 World Cup in Russia

Published

on

Herve Renard resigns from Morocco coaching job after AFCON flop
Morocco ex-manager Herve Renard. (AFP)

Herve Renard has announced his resignation as Morocco coach after a disappointing Africa Cup of Nations campaign that saw his side knocked out by Benin in the last 16.

“It is time for me to close this long and beautiful chapter of my life, not without some emotion and sadness, but it is an inevitable decision taken well before AFCON 2019,” said Renard in a statement. 

“Yes, we had all hoped better for this AFCON 2019. But this is football.”

The Frenchman had been in charge of Morocco since February 2016 and led the nation to their first World Cup in two decades in Russia last year.

However, their shock penalty shootout defeat to Benin came against a side reduced to 10 men in extra time and after Ajax star Hakim Ziyech slapped a spot-kick of his own against the post in the final seconds of normal time.

Renard has managed national teams across Africa and is the only coach to have won the Cup of Nations with two countries — Zambia in 2012 and Ivory Coast three years later.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Top Story

Algeria emerge AFCON 2019 champions after win over Senegal

Algeria’s win against Senegal in this year’s tournament makes it the country’s second AFCON win in 29 years

Published

on

Algeria emerge AFCON 2019 champions after win over Senegal
Algerian team celebrate championship with trophy after the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations final match between Senegal and Algeria at the Cairo Stadium in Cairo, Egypt on July 19, 2019. Algeria won their first Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title in 29 years, beating Senegal 1-0 late Friday in Egypt. (AFP)

Baghdad Bounedjah’s early goal propelled Algeria to a first Africa Cup of Nations title in 29 years after a fiery 1-0 victory over Sadio Mane’s Senegal in Friday’s final in Cairo.

Bounedjah gave Algeria a dream start in the second minute when his deflected shot looped over Senegal goalkeeper Alfred Gomis, and it proved enough for the 1990 champions to lift the trophy on foreign soil for the first time.

For Senegal, who lost to Algeria by the same scoreline in the group stage, the long wait for a first continental crown goes on as coach Aliou Cisse, the captain of the 2002 runners-up, again fell short in the final.

It was the first title-decider to feature two African coaches since 1998, with Algeria boss Djamel Belmadi completing a whirlwind 12 months at the helm after inheriting a side that failed to make it out of the group stage two years ago.

With defensive rock Kalidou Koulibaly suspended for Senegal, Salif Sane deputised at the back and Ismaila Sarr was recalled in attack, while Belmadi kept faith in the same side that overcame Nigeria with an injury-time free-kick from Riyad Mahrez.

Senegal had understandably feared the absence of Napoli star Koulibaly, banned after two bookings in the knockout rounds, although the towering Sane was desperately unlucky as Algeria grabbed the lead with scarcely a minute played.

As Bounedjah took aim from 20 yards his effort smacked off Sane and arced high into the air before dropping underneath the crossbar and beyond a static Gomis, sparking delirious celebrations from both players and fans, some of whom arrived for the final on military planes provided by the Algerian government.

The final whistle was greeted by an outpouring of raw emotion as the North Africans emerged winners of the expanded 24-team event. 

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Top Story

Four killed in Ethiopia during secessionist protest

The Sidama, the largest ethnic group in the southern region, have been agitating for their own semi-autonomous state

Published

on

Four killed in Ethiopia during secessionist protest
A young man rides a motorcycle along a parkway as young people of the Sidama ethnic group, the largest in southern Ethiopia, celebrate at Hawassa city over plans by local elders to declare the establishment of a breakaway region for the Sidama. - The Sidama are planning to declare the formation of their own region, a move analysts warn could spark bloodshed, further aggravating the many political and security crises facing Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed. (Photo by Michael TEWELDE / AFP)

Four people have died of gunshot wounds in the southern Ethiopian city of Hawassa, where protesters have been demanding the establishment of a breakaway state, a hospital executive said Friday.

Security forces carried out arrests as violence spread to districts outside the regional capital on a second day of protests, state media reported.

The Sidama, the largest ethnic group in the southern region, have been agitating for their own semi-autonomous state, posing the latest political challenge to Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.

Expectations had been high that they would unilaterally declare their own region on Thursday.

Ethiopia is already partitioned into nine semi-autonomous regions. The constitution requires the government to organise a referendum for any ethnic group that wants to form a new entity within a year of them requesting it.

The SLM, which has been leading calls for the new state, accepted government demands for a delay pending a referendum before the end of the year.

But other parties were unhappy and protests erupted Thursday.

Sidama activists have accused the security forces of opening fire on protesters who set tyres alight and lobbed stones on Thursday. 

“There are four people dead, three men and one woman,” said Zinaw Serniso, general manager of the Hawassa Referral Hospital.

One of the victims had been shot in the head while another was shot in the stomach.

Three of the victims died on Thursday, while the fourth, a woman, was admitted and died on Friday from injuries believed to have been sustained the previous day.

Regional police commissioner Tewodros Woldemichael told state-affiliated Fana Broadcasting Corporate that police were arresting people who had participated in violence. 

He acknowledged that unrest had spread outside the city. 

“Efforts are underway to put under control the violence which started in Hawassa and later spread to the neighboring Sidama woredas (district),” he said.

Hawassa residents said the city was calm Friday but that protests and clashes with security forces continued on the outskirts. 

Desalegne Mesa, a spokesman for the Sidama Liberation Movement, said party members in and around Hawassa had reported 19 deaths in total, though that number could not be independently verified. 

Desalegne called on the government to reduce the security presence in the Sidama region. 

In addition to regional and federal police, soldiers from the Ethiopian military have been patrolling the streets of Hawassa. It is unclear who has been shooting protesters. 

‘Brutal killings’ –

“The community is angry because of the delays of the government to answer their constitutional question,” Desalegne said. 

“The community has to remain stable and tolerant, and we’ll see what the government does to solve this problem in a constitutional way. It’s not good to solve problems by force.” 

Four killed in Ethiopia during secessionist protest
Youth from the Sidama ethnic group, the largest in southern Ethiopia, ride in the back of a truck at Hawassa city during celebrations over plans by local elders to declare the establishment of a breakaway region for the Sidama. (Photo by Michael TEWELDE / AFP)

Tessema Elias, a law professor at Hawassa University and an activist pushing for the formation of a new state, said a group of around five prominent Sidama activists had been arrested Friday.

He said the activists had been trying to convene a meeting to calm the population, and warned that their arrests could exacerbate tensions.

“There is a lot of misinformation going around,” Tessema said. “People are not informed and there are a lot of exaggerations. I am getting a lot of reports of very brutal killings but I cannot give an exact number.”

The Sidama issue is the latest headache for Abiy.

He has gained high marks abroad for his drive to reform the nation after decades of iron-fisted rule.

But change in this highly diverse country has also helped to fuel ethnic violence, displacing more than two million people.  

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Newsletter

Trending