Connect with us

Politics

Nigeria delivers relief materials, $1.5m cash to Malawi, Zimbabwe and Mozambique over cyclones

No fewer than 1.6 million people were affected and displaced by the disaster and 603 deaths recorded.

News Central

Published

on

Nigeria delivers relief materials, $1.5m cash to Malawi, Zimbabwe and Mozambique over cyclones

Nigeria on Tuesday in Maputo began the distribution of relief materials including cash donations of $500,000 each to Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe over the recent disaster caused by Cyclone Idai that left over 1.6 million people homeless.

Foreign Affairs minister, Geoffrey Onyeama who is on a tour of the affected countries to deliver the relief supplies began his trip from Mozambique where he handed over relief items to Antonio Tchamo, the country’s Permanent Secretary heading the National Institute of Disaster Management in Maputo.

Onyeama and the Nigerian delegation later left for Lilongwe, Malawi where he delivered another set of relief materials on Tuesday. He was received by Nicholas Dausi, Malawi’s Minister of Homeland Security and Disaster Management Affairs.

“Total donation is 30,000 tonnes of drugs, medical equipment, insecticide treated nets and the sum of $500,000”, Minister Onyeama told Malawian officials.

“President Muhammadu Buhari commiserates with the government and people of Malawi over the unfortunate incident that claimed many lives and displaced thousands of people,”

-The foreign minister said.

The minister explained that President Buhari directed him to deliver the 8,000 medical supplies, 35 tonnes of relief materials and $500,000 each to the three countries as a show of brotherhood and solidarity to the people of Southern Africa.

“Whatever happens to any country in Africa, our pan-African sentiment is always with them. We will be with you at every step of the way towards rehabilitation and reconstruction process that will now take place,” Minister Onyeama said.

Responding on behalf of the government of Mozambique, Tchamo explained that no fewer than 1.6 million people were affected and displaced by the disaster and 603 deaths recorded.

He also said that 16,200 people sustained various degree of injuries, more than 300,000 houses destroyed, 45,000 students affected, 3,600 schools affected and 93 health centres destroyed.

“We never doubt your solidarity and brotherhood since the time of struggle against colonialism. It is in the difficult moment that we know who is surrounding us. On behalf of the government and people of Mozambique, we will like to thank the government of Nigeria for this gesture,” Tchamo said while commending Nigeria’s contributions to the liberation struggles of many countries in Southern Africa.

The Nigerian delegation, which includes officials of the country’s disaster management agency, NEMA later proceeded to Zimbabwe to deliver same relief materials.

The hurricane attack has led to many countries providing relief materials to the three countries including the World Bank which is set to extend more than half-a-billion dollars in grants.

Cyclone Idai caused catastrophic damage earlier this year that affected millions of people especially the port city of Beira in Mozambique, which is the worst affected country.

The tragedy was further compounded by Cyclone Kenneth, another cyclone that hit the country after six weeks of Idai’s devastation.

Politics

Amnesty International demands ‘unconditional’ release of Mauritanian bloggers

Freedom of expression in Mauritania has come under the spotlight in recent years

News Central

Published

on

Amnesty International demands 'unconditional' release of Mauritanian bloggers

Amnesty International has called on Mauritania to “immediately and unconditionally” release two well-known bloggers who it says have been held for two months over social media posts about alleged corruption in the country.  

Amnesty said the young bloggers, Cheikh Ould Jiddou and Abderrahmane Weddady, were arrested in late March by the Economic Crimes Unit in Mauritania’s capital, Nouakchott and charged with “malicious accusation” over comments they made on Facebook alleging corruption among Mauritanian officials. 

“Their unlawful detention shows that the Mauritanian government is determined to crush dissent and use charges of ‘malicious news’ against perceived critical voices in the country,” said Amnesty’s West Africa Campaigner, Kine Fatim Diop, in a statement released on Tuesday.

“Two months after their arrest, Weddady and Ould Jiddou are still languishing in detention, and we are calling for their immediate and unconditional release.”

According to a statement from the lawyers for the bloggers, Brahim Ould Ebetty and Henri Thulliez, had highlighted foreign press reports alleging the “potential freezing of a bank account belonging to the head of state by Dubai authorities”.

They said the bloggers had investigated a property Ponzi scheme, which they say was fronted by a religious leader and could have benefitted the relatives of the president.  

Burkina Faso has set June 22 for the first round of elections to succeed President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, a former general who is stepping down after his second and final term in office.

Freedom of expression in Mauritania has come under the spotlight in recent years, with international concern over a death sentence handed to blogger, Cheikh Ould Mohamed Ould Mkheitir in 2014 for allegedly insulting the Prophet Muhammad in a blog post. 

The sentence was later downgraded to a two-year jail term. 

Mauritania fell 17 spots in Reporters Without Borders’ 2018 World Press Freedom Index, the biggest drop of any African nation.

Continue Reading

Politics

South Africa extradites former Mozambique finance minister

Mozambique has accused Chang of receiving $17 million in kickbacks in a scam which creamed off hundreds of millions.

News Central

Published

on

South Africa extradites former Mozambique finance minister
Manuel Chang, former finance minister of Mozambique, appears at the Kempton Park Magistrates court to fight extradition to the United states in Kempton Park, South Africa. - South Africa announced on May 21, 2019 its decision to extradite Manuel Chang to his Mozambique. (Photo by Wikus DE WET / AFP)

South Africa said Tuesday it would send home former Mozambique Finance Minister, Manuel Chang, who has been held since December on a US arrest warrant, to face corruption charges.

“I have decided that the accused, Mr. Manuel Chang, will be extradited to stand trial for his alleged offences in Mozambique,” South African Justice Minister, Michael Masutha said in a statement.

“I am satisfied that the interest of justice will be best served by acceding to the request by the Republic of Mozambique,” Masutha said.

Chang, 63, was arrested at Johannesburg airport in December at the request of US authorities over alleged involvement in fraudulent loans to Mozambique state firms worth $2 billion.

Mozambique has accused Chang of receiving $17 million in kickbacks in a scam which creamed off hundreds of millions.

In the US, Chang faces charges of conspiracy to commit electronic fraud, financial security violations and money laundering, and could be jailed for up to 45 years if found guilty.

The South African minister said he had noted that the US submitted its extradition request weeks before Mozambique’s one.

After weighing the relevant facts and taking into account the criteria contained in both the extradition treaties between the US and South Africa, and the southern African SADC regional bloc agreement on extradition, he said he had decided to send Chang back home.

US Assistant Secretary of State, Tibor Nagy in March said he expected Pretoria to honour an extradition accord it signed in 1999. 

‘Seriousness of alleged offence’ –

South African Foreign Minister Lindiwe Sisulu had indicated in February, however, that Chang would be handed to Maputo because it would be “the easiest thing for everybody”.

In reaching his decision, Masutha said he had taken into consideration that the alleged offence was committed whilst Chang was a cabinet minister in Mozambique and also his preference to face trial in his native country. 

The minister said he also took into account the “seriousness of the alleged offence” and the “onerous debt for Mozambique as a result of the alleged fraud”.

In Mozambique, Chang stands accused of abuse of position and function, violation of budget law, fraud, embezzlement, receiving bribes, money laundering and criminal association.

The charges against Chang relate to loans taken out by the government in Maputo when he was head of treasury between 2005 and 2015.

An independent audit found that a quarter of the loan amount was illicitly diverted.

The US alleges at least $200 million of the loans was spent on bribes and kick-backs.

Mozambique has arrested several other suspects linked to the scandal, including the son of ex-president Armando Guebuza, and senior intelligence officials.

In January, three former Credit Suisse workers were arrested in London and charged with helping to create $2 billion in maritime projects as a front.

Continue Reading

Politics

Gabon’s president sacks vice president and forestry minister

The forestry ministry is now placed “under the direct authority” of the Prime Minister.

News Central

Published

on

Kevazingo gate: Gabon leader sacks vice president and forestry minister
Gabonese President, Ali Bongo Ondimba. (Photo by LUDOVIC MARIN / AFP)

Gabon’s leader, Ali Bongo on Tuesday announced the dismissal of his Vice President and the Minister of Forests, in a move that comes amid a scandal over the smuggling of precious timber.

The president did not give a reason for the sackings of Vice President, Pierre Claver Maganga Moussavou and Forestry and Environment Minister Guy Bertrand Mapangou, in his statement late Tuesday.

No new minister was appointed to the forest and environment portfolio, which was placed “under the direct authority” of the Prime Minister.

There have been intensifying calls for Mapangou to resign in recent days in the press and from civil society groups in the aftermath of the theft of hundreds of seized containers of kevazingo, a rare wood considered sacred.

Nearly 5,000 cubic metres (177,000 cubic feet) of kevazingo worth some 7 million euros ($7.8 million) was found in two depots belonging to Chinese companies in the Libreville port of Owendo in February and March.

Several suspects were arrested, but 353 of the containers -which had been confiscated -mysteriously disappeared.

The wood had allegedly been loaded into containers bearing water and forestry ministry labels, falsely describing it as okoume -a kind of timber cleared for export.

Local media have called the scandal “kevazingogate”.

Earlier in May, the government said several top Gabonese officials had been suspended over suspected involvement in smuggling the precious timber.

Kevazingo is a rare central African wood that is prized in Asia, notably for sculpting into temple doorways, tea tables and meeting tables.

Gabon, three quarters of whose land mass is forested, last year banned the exploitation of kevazingo after illegal felling reached alarming proportions.

The industry is hugely important for the West African nation’s economy, supporting some 17,000 jobs, and is second only to the petroleum sector in terms of foreign earnings and accounts for 60 per cent of non-oil related GDP.  

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Newsletter

Trending