Connect with us

Sports News

Nigeria FA officials charged with corruption

The charges range from failure to declare assets to conflict of interest and alleged embezzlement of $8.4 million

News Central

Published

on

NFF nigeria
Nigeria Football Federation head Amaju Pinnick

Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick and four other top-ranking officials have been charged with corruption, including embezzlement of millions of dollars from world body FIFA, court sources said on Wednesday. 

The Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIP) brought the charges against Pinnick, NFF vice presidents Seyi Akinwunmi and Shehu Dikko, general secretary Sanusi Mohammed and committee member Ahmed Yusuf.

The charges range from failure to declare their assets to conflict of interest and alleged embezzlement of $8.4 million paid by world football governing body FIFA to Nigeria for participation in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. 

They are to appear at the federal high court in the nation’s capital Abuja at a date to be announced later. 

The football officials were investigated last year by SPIP, which initially granted them administrative bail. 

The NFF chiefs took legal action to stop the investigation, and  secured a court injunction to set aside their arrest warrant.

Another set of NFF officials are facing trial for the alleged misappropriation of a $9.5 million FIFA grant to Nigeria. 

The case has been adjourned to May 30. 

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

East Africa Sports News

Kenyan World Olympic champion Kipyegon prepares to defend title in Doha

Kipyegon made a winning return to the track after a two-year maternity break at the Prefontaine Diamond League in June

Published

on

Kenyan World Olympic champion Kipyegon prepares to defend title in Doha
Gold medallist Kenya's Faith Chepngetich Kipyegon. (Photo by Andrej ISAKOVIC / AFP)

Kenya’s Olympic and world 1500m champion Faith Kipyegon said she was fit and ready to defend her title in Doha after edging Winnie Chebet in the Kenyan trials on Friday.

Kipyegon made a winning return to the track after a two-year maternity break at the Prefontaine Diamond League in June, but a hamstring injury in training interrupted her racing season.

“I thank God I have managed to come back stronger after the long maternity leave, and today I am able to win my race and book a ticket to the world championship,” said Kipyegon, who timed her sprint perfectly to edge the African champion Chebet in the photo-finish.

Kenyan World Olympic champion Kipyegon prepares to defend title in Doha
Gold medallist Kenya’s Faith Chepngetich Kipyegon poses on the podium during the victory ceremony for the women’s 1,500m athletics event at the 2017 IAAF World Championships at the London Stadium in London on August 8, 2017. (Photo by Andrej ISAKOVIC / AFP)

“I am completely healed from the injury and ready to defend my title in Doha, where I expect to meet strong opposition from Genzebe Dibaba of Ethiopia and Sifan Hassan of the Netherlands.”

Selah Jepleting finished third in 4:05.26  and will join Kipyegon and Chebet at the world championships.

Fresh from winning the Diamond League 1,500m title, Timothy Cheruiyot controlled his race from the gun at the trials, clocking 3:34.91 ahead of Ronald Kwemoi (3:36.61). World under-18 champion George Manangoi was third in 3:37.68.

“I am gunning to win the world title in Doha to make up for the disappointment of the 2017 World Championships in London where I finished second to my compatriot and training partner Elijah Manangoi,” said Cheruiyot.

Elijah Manangoi did not compete in the Kenyan trials but will run in Doha and defend his title as the fourth Kenyan athlete in the men’s 1,500m.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Sports News

Four-time African Footballer of the year, Eto’o retires from professional football

He is slated for a major role in the Confederation of African Football where he has vowed to fight corruption

Published

on

Cameroonian former footballer Samuel Eto'o holds the Africa Cup of Nations trophy

Cameroon’s four-time African Player of the Year Samuel Eto’o announced his retirement on Saturday at the age of 38, declaring “I need a rest”. “The end, towards a new challenge,” the former Barcelona, Inter Milan and Chelsea striker posted on Instagram. “Thank you all, big love, adrenalin.”

“In a few months you’ll see me doing something new,” Eto’o, who has campaigned relentlessly against racism during his playing days, later said on the margins of an economic forum in DR Congo. “I need a rest, I’ve been running for 19-years,” he added light-heartedly in Kinshasa.

He stands alongside Liberia’s current president George Weah and Ivory Coast’s Didier Drogba as a great of African sport and cuts a mythical figure in his homeland where he is close to national president Paul Biya.

Samuel Eto'o gives a press conference, on June 17, 2014
In this file photo taken on June 17, 2014, Cameroon’s forward and captain Samuel Eto’o gives a press conference, on June 17, 2014, in Manaus on the eve of their Group A match against Croatia at the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. – Cameroon’s four-time African Player of the Year Samuel Eto’o announced his retirement on September 7, 2019, at the age of 38, declaring “I need a rest”. (Photo by Pierre-Philippe MARCOU / AFP)

Pay Attention: FIFA bans ex-Nigeria football coach for match-fixing

He is slated for a major role in the Confederation of African Football where he has vowed to fight corruption to ensure funds go into infrastructure. CAF president Ahmed Ahmed says Eto’o would take up a key role in the African game. “Samual Eto’o will take charge of relations between the federations and CAF,” the Madagascan said last month.

The most memorable period of his club career includes five hugely successful seasons with Barcelona from 2004 to 2009. Despite an unfortunate knack for ruffling feathers, a return of 108 league goals from just 145 matches in five stunning seasons with Barcelona pays testament to his talent.

At his peak, he enjoyed electric pace, impeccable touch and instinctive shooting to make him one of the most feared centre-forwards in the world. He won a pair of Champions League titles and three La Liga crowns before departing under a cloud for Inter Milan after rowing with Ronaldinho leading to Pep Guardiola showing him the dressing room door.

He then spearheaded Jose Mourinho’s charge to a never to be forgotten treble with Inter of Champions League, Serie A and Coppa Italia titles in his first season in Italy. He led Cameroon to an impressive four World Cups in 1998, 2002, 2010 and 2014 and enjoyed huge success at the Africa Cup of Nations as the Indomitable Lions won in 2000 and 2002.

  • Cameroonian forward Samuel Eto'o arrives to attend a press conference after signing a one year contract to play for Qatar Sports Club
  • In this file photo taken on May 27, 2009 Barcelona's Samuel Eto'o runs with the ball during the UEFA football Champions League final
  • Chelsea's Cameroonian striker Samuel Eto'o runs with the ball during the UEFA Champions League Group E football match
  • Cameroon and Antalyaspor forward Samuel Eto'o waves during the 2015 FIFA Ballon d'Or award ceremony
  • Cameroonian forward Samuel Eto'o attends his presentation after signing a one year contract to play for Qatar Sports Club
  • Cameroon's Samuel Eto'o (C) arrives on Goree Island off the coast of Dakar on January 7, 2019, ahead of the CAF 2018 awards

Read: Eto’o appointed Qatar 2022 Ambassador

He was part of a golden generation that featured Rigobert Song, the late Marc-Vivien Foe and Geremi as Cameroon also won the gold medal at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, with the emerging Eto’o both scoring and converting a penalty in the shoot-out win over Spain in front of a blockbuster 114,000 crowd.

His pace left him as his career slowed down with low stints at Russia’s Anzhi Makhachkala, Chelsea and Everton in the Premier League. Last year, after a short spell with Turkish side Konyaspor, he joined Qatar league side, Qatar Sports Club, his last club.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Southern Africa Sports

Living the dream: Livingstone lands huge Super League deal in SA

He is joined in South Africa by countrymen Alex Hales, Jason Roy and Tom Curran.

Published

on

Liam Livingstone gets huge SA deal

Lancashire’s Liam Livingstone was a surprise first-round pick in the draft for South Africa’s Mzansi Super League on Tuesday. Livingstone, 26, a hard-hitting batsman and leg-spin bowler, was bought by the Cape Town Blitz franchise for a million rand.

Although his international experience is limited to two Twenty20 internationals for England in 2017, Livingstone has played in the Indian and Pakistan Twenty20 leagues with the Rajasthan Royals and Karachi Kings respectively.

He is joined in South Africa by countrymen Alex Hales, Jason Roy and Tom Curran, who had previously been named as international marquee players, earning R1.2-million each, for the Durban Heat, Nelson Mandela Bay Giants and Tshwane Spartans.

Pay Attention: Touch down: the ICC Cricket World Cup in Cape Town for SA tour

English players dominated the foreign signings for the six franchises. Veteran batsman Ravi Bopara was bought by Durban Heat for R750,000 while England World Cup-winning squad member James Vince went to the Paarl Rocks for R350,000.

Liam Livinstone gets picked in draft first round
Rajasthan Royals cricketer Liam Livingstone walks back to the pavilion after being dismissed during the 2019 Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 cricket match between Delhi Capitals and Rajasthan Royals at the Feroz Shah Kotla stadium in New Delhi on May 4, 2019. (Photo by XAVIER GALIANA / AFP)

West Indian Chris Gayle was again signed as a marquee player for Jozi Stars, the defending champions, while Pakistan’s Wahab Riaz was assigned to the Cape Town Blitz and Isuru Udana of Sri Lanka joined the Paarl Rocks.

Jozi Stars retained Australian all-rounder Dan Christian while fellow Australian Ben Dunk was bought by Nelson Mandela Bay Giants. Pakistanis Asif Ali and Mohammad Nawaz were retained by Cape Town Blitz.

Seventeen-year-old Afghanistan left-arm wrist spinner Waqar Salamkheil, who took four wickets on his Test debut against Ireland in March, will join the Tshwane Spartans. He was a ninth-round choice for a fee of R180,000.

Related News: Mamelodi Sundowns top SA premiership table

Cricket South Africa said 184 foreign or South African Kolpak players had put their names forward for the draft. The overseas players will join South Africa’s leading cricketers, including some such as AB de Villiers and Morne Morkel who are unlikely to play any other cricket in their home country during the season.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Trending