Promising South Africa sprinter Ncincilili Titi has announced his decision to quit athletics after struggling to overcome a medical problem.
US-based Titi wrote on his Twitter page “Time I hang up my spikes, focus on other things, I guess till further notice…”
“Would be lovely if ASA or SASCOC would step in, but sadly that’s not my reality. I do have other passions so that’s where my energy is gonna be going now”.
The 25-year-old who is the fifth-fastest South African of all time also stated that he was unable to invest “any more resources” into trying to overcome his injury.
Titi was a member of the SA 4x100m team that set the 38.35sec national record at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
South Africa apologises to Nigeria after xenophobic attacks
Buhari and Ramaphosa are expected to meet at a state visit in South Africa next month
A South African envoy expressed the country’s “sincerest apologies” to Nigeria on Monday, after a wave of anti-migrant attacks swept through Johannesburg and surrounding cities in recent weeks, fuelling diplomatic tensions.
A meeting with Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari in the capital Abuja was held to convey President Cyril Ramaphosa’s “sincere apologies about the incident that has recently transpired in South Africa,” the special envoy, Jeff Radebe, told reporters.
“The incident does not represent what we stand for,” he said, adding that South African police would “leave no stone unturned, that those involved must be brought to book.”
In a statement after the meeting, Nigeria’s presidency said “President Buhari responded to profuse apologies from the South African president, pledging that relationship between the two countries will be solidified.”
Johannesburg and surrounding areas were rocked by a series of deadly attacks on foreigners in recent weeks, with many directed against Nigerian-owned businesses and properties.
At least 12 people were killed in the violence that left hundreds of shops destroyed.
No Nigerians were killed according to South African authorities but the violence led to condemnation across Africa, particularly in Nigeria, fuelling diplomatic tensions between the continent’s two leading economies.
The violence also prompted reprisal attacks against South African firms in Nigeria and the temporary closing of South Africa’s diplomatic missions in Lagos and Abuja.
Last week, almost 200 Nigerian migrants were repatriated back to Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital, following the unrest.
At least 400 more are expected to return out of some 100,000 Nigerians estimated by the government to reside in South Africa.
Buhari and Ramaphosa are expected to meet at a state visit in South Africa next month.
Robert Mugabe: Family agrees to burial at Zimbabwe’s national monument
His family and President Emmerson Mnangagwa had disagreed over where and when he would be buried
Former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe’s family and the government on Friday said he would be buried in about a month after they agreed to entomb him at a monument for national heroes in Harare.
Mugabe died in Singapore last week, aged 95, leaving Zimbabweans deeply divided over the legacy of a leader once lauded as an anti-colonial guerrilla hero, but whose 37-year iron-fisted rule ended in a coup in 2017.
His family and President, Emmerson Mnangagwa, a former Mugabe ally who turned against him, had been at odds over where and when he would be buried after his body returned home on Wednesday from Singapore.
On Friday, they agreed he would be buried at the National Heroes Acre, but the final ceremony will only take place in 30 days after a new mausoleum is built for Mugabe.
“The government, the chiefs, the traditional leaders went to the Heroes Acre they showed each other where President Mugabe is going to be buried and that place will take about 30 days to complete,” his nephew Leo Mugabe said.
Mnangagwa confirmed the burial would only take place once a new mausoleum had been built there for the former leader.
Around a dozen African leaders and former presidents, including South Africa’s Cyril Ramaphosa, are among those expected to attend Mugabe’s official state funeral on Saturday in Harare in a sports stadium.
Tensions had erupted when Mnangagwa’s government proposed a burial at the monument while the family said he would be buried at a private ceremony, possibly in his homestead of Kutama, in the Zvimba region, northwest of the capital.
Leo Mugabe said Mugabe’s body would go to Zvimba while the new tomb was built.
The former leader had been travelling to Singapore regularly for medical treatment but allies say his health deteriorated rapidly after his ouster.
Some of Mugabe’s relatives are still bitter over how he was removed from power, and the role Mnangagwa played in his ouster.
Mugabe dismissed Mnangagwa as first vice president in 2017 — a move many perceived as a bid to position his wife Grace to succeed him after nearly four decades of autocratic rule.
Soon after, Mugabe was toppled by protesters and the army in what was seen as part of a power struggle within the ruling ZANU-PF party between pro-Mnangagwa factions and Mugabe loyalists siding with Grace.
He remained free in Zimbabwe with his family after he was forced from office.
People divided –
Zimbabweans have been split over the death of a man who some still praise for ending white-minority rule and widening access to health and education to the poor black majority.
But many Zimbabweans remember his tyrannical leadership and economic mismanagement that forced millions to escape a country ravaged by hyper-inflation and shortages of food, drugs and fuel.
“We are happier now that he is gone. Why should I go to his funeral? I don’t have fuel,” said Constance, 52, a Harare housewife.
“We don’t want to hear anything about him anymore. He is the cause of our problems.”
Mugabe’s legacy is also marked by a crackdown known as Gukurahundi, which killed an estimated 20,000 alleged “dissidents”, and his violent seizure of white-owned farms that made him an international outcast.
Mnangagwa himself is under pressure after promising a new post-Mugabe era of more investment and jobs after he came to power, with little success.
His government’s fuel price hike this year sparked protests which led to a crackdown on opposition and clashes in which soldiers opened fire killing 17 people.
Protesters storm Johannesburg to demand crackdown on gender-based violence
More than 40,000 incidents of rape were reported to the police between April 2018 and March 2019
With placards stating “Enough is enough”, hundreds of protesters marched in Johannesburg on Friday to protest at gender-based violence.
Demonstrations in South Africa have been mounting over the rising toll of murders, rapes and abuse of women and girls, and a sense of impunity and government failure that surrounds it.
“I deal with kids coming through my door complaining about rape,” said Tshego Modisane, a 27-year-old teacher from the township of Soweto.
“They say ‘I have been raped by my uncle, violated by my dad, my step-dad,'” she told reporters, clutching a sign that read “YES #menaretrash”.
“All these kids are vulnerable girls who have nowhere else to go.”
Police crime figures released on Thursday showed that sexual offences including rape rose 4.6 per cent over a year.
More than 40,000 incidents of rape were reported to the police between April 2018 and March 2019 — a figure likely to be far short of the true numbers.
President Cyril Ramaphosa vowed to review laws and crackdown on perpetrators last week, after hundreds of women assembled on the sidelines of an economic summit in Cape Town to draw attention to the issue.
But frustrated by the pace of change, some 500 demonstrators — mainly women — gathered again in Johannesburg to demand “action not words”.
“It will not be business as usual,” they chanted, as police watched on the sidelines.
“The law just has to be stricter. There should be no bail for rapists, it’s ridiculous,” said Natalie Pool, 36, adding that she remained sceptical about Ramaphosa’s promises.
‘Hush culture’ –
Blood-stained sheets and clothing were laid out in front of Johannesburg’s stock exchange in Sandton — one of the city’s most affluent areas — to call for more support from businesses and banks.
“Dear private sector, your silence is uncomfortable,” an organiser shouted into a megaphone, before inviting participants to observe a moment of silence for the latest victims.
South Africans have recently been shocked by the separate murders of three young women.
A 19-year old university student and a 14-year old schoolgirl were killed in Cape Town earlier this month – the former raped and beaten to death on her way to a post office.
Boxing champion, Leighandre “Baby Lee” Jegels, 25, was allegedly shot dead by her partner, who was a police officer, last month.
Their stories triggered outcry and soul-searching in a country that often appears numb to murder and sexual violence.
“There was a whole lot of hush culture when it came to abuse, particularly around gender-based violence and sexual issues,” Eden Bohulu, 22, told reporters at the protest.
“These issues have always existed but I think it’s only now that we’ve decided to fight.”
Siboso Mohlwayo was among the minority of men attending the event.
A young astronomy student, he was protesting in support of his sister, now in high school, who was sexually assaulted as a child.
He was disappointed by the male turnout.
“All of them should have come out as it’s their responsibility as humans to fight,” he said, the word “Amandla” — Zulu for “power” – printed on his T-shirt.
Their absence, he said, “shows how much disappointment we can expect from our own nation.”
Uganda and Rwanda revisit trade talks
Egypt resumes Nile Dam talks with Ethiopia, Sudan
Tanzanian mining firms to pay royalty fees on mineral production
Kais Saied and Nabil Karoui to face off in Tunisia’s runoff election
4 killed, 3 missing from tourist boat accident in Senegal
12 people arrested in Côte d’Ivoire over DJ Arafat’s tomb desecration
Cameroonian separatist leader jailed for life
Sudanese ex-President Bashir admits receiving $90 million from Saudi royal
Wanna meet your match? 5 best makeup tips to keep you winning
CAF Confederation Cup: Bolton City overcomes Jwaneng Galaxy of Botswana
The #AfricaFirst Pledge with Efe Paul Azino
Harsh abortion sentences are putting Malagasy women at risk
NBA’s Africa Academy is building a local talent pipeline
Meet the wildlife conservation game changer
International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
Culture & Tourism2 days ago
Ethiopian youths “pimp out” jalopy Beetles to revive auto culture
Southern Africa1 day ago
South Africa apologises to Nigeria after xenophobic attacks
North Africa2 days ago
2 candidates claim first round wins in Tunisia elections
West Africa News15 hours ago
Niger floods displace Niamey residents, 60 dead
Culture & Tourism14 hours ago
Iddris Sandu, the 21-year-old expert behind Instagram, Snapchat and Uber
Op-Ed1 day ago
First 100 days in office, what’s in it? (Opinion)
Politics2 days ago
Boko Haram kills 6 soldiers in Cameroon – Authorities
North Africa2 days ago
Algeria’s interim President announces elections on December 12