Connect with us

News

Shops, street sweepers, others resume in Sudan after civil disobedience call-off

Hundreds of people queued outside bank automatic teller machines (ATMs) for hours on Wednesday morning

News Central

Published

on

Passengers wait for their shuttle at the main bus station in Khartoum, linking the Sudanese capital with various parts of the country,

Street sweepers and queues at bank cash points returned to Khartoum Wednesday after protesters called off a civil disobedience campaign that had brought Sudan’s capital to a standstill. “We have returned to work and there is a lot of garbage on the streets,” said sweeper Mohamed Adam, as he tackled a pile of trash in a street in southern Khartoum.

“This will take a long time and effort to clean” up, Adam, dressed in a green t-shirt, jeans and a cap, said. Waste had piled up in Khartoum’s key squares and almost all districts in recent days as many street sweepers took part in the civil disobedience campaign that began on Sunday.

Related: Sudan uprising: Protesters agree new talks with the military, ends civil disobedience

Sewerage has also seeped onto the streets during the shutdown. Protest leaders launched the initiative after a brutal crackdown on demonstrators on June 3 that left dozens dead outside army headquarters in Khartoum. On Wednesday, garbage trucks traversed the streets of the capital, particularly around hotels and embassies in upscale districts.

Municipality workers clean up the streets in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on June 12, 2019.
Municipality workers clean up the streets in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on June 12, 2019. – Shops began to reopen in Sudan’s capital but many residents stayed indoors even as demonstrators called off a nationwide civil disobedience campaign launched after a deadly crackdown in Khartoum killed dozens. As a breakthrough came after mediations led by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who visited Khartoum last week, the United Nations Security Council called on the ruling generals and protest leaders to resolve the crisis triggered by the June 3 crackdown on protesters. (Photo by – / AFP)

And hundreds of people queued outside bank automatic teller machines (ATMs) for hours on Wednesday morning, seeking to access modestly replenished cash stocks. But cash within the banking system remains in short supply.

“I have been waiting for three hours now to withdraw 1,000 pounds ($ 21),” said Mahmoud Salah, as he stood in a queue outside an ATM in the northern district of Bahari, a bastion of protests. “That’s a lot of time for a very small amount. We want the central bank to solve the issue” of strict limits on cash withdrawals. “For months we have been waiting like this.”

Buses run but with fewer passengers as civil disobedience ends

Similar scenes were visible in several areas of Khartoum as residents came out to withdraw money and buy staples after shops began to reopen. Witnesses also reported queues outside ATMs in Port Sudan, a key economic hub, and towns including Madani, Al-Obeid and Gadaref.

In Port Sudan a ship left the dock at around 9:00 am (0700 GMT), while two others were being loaded, a witness told reporters by telephone. “The city’s main market is open but there are queues outside bank ATMs,” a resident from Port Sudan said.

Initial protests across Sudan erupted in December due to a worsening economic crisis led by soaring food prices and an acute shortage of foreign currency. The crisis further deepened when local banks put limits on cash withdrawals through ATMs, angering residents.

Residents of Khartoum queue outside a bank to withdraw money in the Sudanese capital
Residents of Khartoum queue outside a bank to withdraw money in the Sudanese capital on June 12, 2019. – Shops began to reopen in Sudan’s capital but many residents stayed indoors even as demonstrators called off a nationwide civil disobedience campaign launched after a deadly crackdown in Khartoum killed dozens. As a breakthrough came after mediations led by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who visited Khartoum last week, the United Nations Security Council called on the ruling generals and protest leaders to resolve the crisis triggered by the June 3 crackdown on protesters. (Photo by – / AFP)

Many backed the protest movement that finally led to the ouster of longtime president Omar Al-Bashir on April 11. On Wednesday, even as the civil agitation was called off, many residents stayed indoors – wary of returning to work amid a heavy deployment of security forces, including the feared Rapid Support Forces.

Related: Businesses resume after day one of Sudan’s civil disobedience

Protesters and witnesses accuse RSF personnel of leading the crackdown on demonstrators on June 3. Khartoum’s main bus terminal, which sends buses between the capital and other parts of the country, was functioning on Wednesday, an AFP correspondent reported, though there were not many passengers.

“The movement of buses and passengers is still less than usual,” said Gamal Omar, a ticket seller at the terminal. “I think people will start returning from this weekend. The civil disobedience has ended today, but most people will return to work only after the weekend.”

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

South Africa’s openly HIV-positive judge retires

Edwin Cameron, 66, won widespread praise for spearheading the fight for people with HIV two decades ago

Published

on

South Africa's openly HIV-positive judge retires
Edwin Cameron. (AFP)

A South African Constitutional Court judge and gay rights activist who openly disclosed his HIV status retired on Tuesday.

Edwin Cameron, 66, who hung up his gown after 25 years of serving as a judge, won widespread praise for spearheading the fight for people with HIV two decades ago when the infection rapidly spread under what he called the “AIDS denialism” of the then South African President, Thabo Mbeki.

He revealed his status in 1999 more than a decade after he contracted the virus.

He stirred up the 2000 International AIDS Conference in Durban with a speech detailing his own infection and how he was fortunate to be able to afford to buy antiretrovirals when treatment was so expensive and only accessible to the well-heeled.

“I have survived a pandemic many have perished living under,” he said at a special Constitutional Court sitting held in his honour in Johannesburg.

South Africa has one of the highest rates of HIV infection in the world — 19 per cent according to the UN AIDS agency — with more than seven million people living with the virus.

The country now has the largest state-sponsored anti-retroviral programme in the world, serving 2.5 million people.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng paid tribute to Cameron as “a brave and bold man” and for his catalytic role in mobilising authorities to roll out a mass ARV programme.

“When HIV and AIDS attracted stigma, he stood up and declared openly: ‘I am HIV positive’.”

“He could have chosen to mind his own business and care less about (others but) for the sake of the suffering masses, he not only spoke, but he acted.”

Openly gay, Cameron “helped secure the express inclusion of sexual orientation in the South African Constitution,” according to his official profile.

In 2006, South Africa became the sole African nation to allow gay marriage and it has become a haven for African homosexuals who flee persecution at home.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

News

Police, soldiers deployed to prevent banned march in Zimbabwe’s Bulawayo city

Soldiers and armed police on horseback and in trucks were seen patrolling the central business district

Published

on

Police, soldiers deployed to prevent banned march in Zimbabwe's Bulawayo city
Zimbabwean anti-riot police patrol the streets of Harare. (Photo by Jekesai NJIKIZANA / AFP)

Troops and police were out in force in Zimbabwe’s second city of Bulawayo on Monday to prevent a planned opposition march, days after brutally dispersing a similar banned protest in Harare.

Soldiers and armed police on horseback and in trucks were seen patrolling the central business district and most of the high-density suburbs. 

Using a loudhailer, police warned people against joining the demonstration, called to protest deteriorating economic conditions.

One of the city’s usually busy areas, the precincts of Tredgold Magistrate Courts, where illegal forex changers ply their trade, was cordoned off by police.

Police have also set up checkpoints on most roads leading to the city centre.

Zimbabwean police banned the protests organised by the main opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) after they violently dispersed protesters who had defied a similar order in Harare on Friday. 

The MDC is challenging the ban in court.

READ: Zimbabwean police fire tear gas to dispel opposition protesters

The protesters are angry over the country’s floundering economy and the jailing of a well-known government critic, tribal chief Felix Ndiweni. 

The chief who is highly revered in the western Matabeleland region of the country, was last week jailed for 18 months for allegedly destroying a villager’s property.

Police fired teargas and beat up several demonstrators in Harare on Friday after they gathered in a square where the protest had originally been scheduled to start.

Friday’s protests were the first since President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s decision to hike fuel prices by more than 100 per cent sparked nationwide demonstrations in January which left at least 17 people dead and several injured when soldiers opened fire.

Mnangagwa took over from long-time ruler Robert Mugabe, and then won disputed elections in July last year vowing to revive the economy.

But Zimbabweans say things have gone from bad to worse with shortages of bread, fuel, medicines and other goods and the skyrocketing cost of living. 

According to the UN, about five million Zimbabweans, or a third of the population, are in need of food aid.

“We are deeply concerned by the socio-economic crisis that continues to unfold in Zimbabwe, the UN Human Rights spokesman Rupert Colville said in Geneva on Friday. 

“We urge the Government to find ways to engage with protesters, and to refrain from the use of violence”, it further stated.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

News

Teenager with albinism found dismembered in Burundi

The teenager was found dead late Saturday in the northwest of the country along the Rusizi river

Published

on

Burundi teenager with Albinism found dismembered

15-year-old teen with albinism found dismembered one week after going missing

Case is first of such killing in Burundi for 3 years

Over 20 Burundians with albinism have been killed since 2008

A 15-year-old albino boy has been found dismembered in Burundi a week after going missing, the first such killing in the country in three years, a local albino group said Sunday. Albinos, who have white skin and yellow hair as a result of a genetic disorder that causes the absence of pigmentation, are killed regularly in some African countries for their body parts, which are used in witchcraft rituals. 

The teenager was found dead late Saturday in the northwest of the country along the Rusizi river separating Burundi from DR Congo, not far from his home village.

“The young albino was killed atrociously… His murderers cut his right leg off at the knee, his right arm and his tongue,” said Kassim Kazungu, the head of the local association Albinos Without Borders.

More than 20 albinos have been killed in Burundi since 2008, with the last case in 2016 when a five-year-old girl was found dismembered after being taken from her home. Kazungu said a four-year-old albino boy had been missing since October 2018 from the village of Cendajuri near the Tanzanian border, but that he had “no hope” of finding him alive.

Some experts believe the demand for albino body parts in Tanzania – where such attacks are the most prevalent – has fuelled such killings in border areas.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Trending